Saturday, May 12, 2001 (click on thumbnails to enlarge photos)
Our Leaders, right-to-left, Elyse and Chris
On the way up...
At the peak...
Star of the hike, "Mary" age 77!
Cerro Romauldo, at elevation
1,306 feet, was named after the only Chumash Indian to receive a Mexican Land
Grant of 117 acres following the secularization of the missions. Romauldo called
it "Huerta de Romauldo", Romauldo's kitchen garden or orchard.
Romauldo sold his land to Captain John Wilson, owner of the 32,622 acre ranch
Canada de los Osso y Pecho y Islay Rancho, in 1846. Rock from Cerro Romauldo was
used for building material for the Southern Pacific Railroad in the 1890's.
Today the north side of Cerro Romauldo, adjacent to Highway 1, is owned by the State of California. The California National Guard uses it for fitness training.